Monday, May 12, 2014

Progress Post, Stuctural Ribs & Balconies


After talking to Professor Lia and Jill today, I finally solved the design problem (I think).
While continuously working and trying to find the right use of “Ribs” and optimum use of the balconies. I have designed only two balconies in front of the facade which will be suspended from the ribs. There are only two balconies in the middle, because side rooms have their balconies in between the ribs on the both sides.


Balconies are located in the middle only, therefore I have used the rest of the area to act like sunscreen. I am using concrete with triangular cutout to allow some natural like to penetrate through. It will reduce the cooling loads on the building too.

After adding steel rope, I will start working on the  Landscape and redo the floor plans.

1 comment:

  1. I really think engaging the ribs into the larger mass of the rooms really is strong and finally the ribs start to feel like they have a purpose structurally. I think once you get the cables in this model it will complete the engagement.
    I still need to see the side balconies - a bit concerned that side balconies may weaken the strength of the balconies off the curved mass (I am always nervous about too many small pieces diluting the larger concept).
    5 more days.... keep going

    ReplyDelete